They gave God an initiative - He came with new hope
The New Generation group at Västerhöjdsgymnasiet in Sweden, choose to tell their friends about God through music.
Joel, Rebecca, and Julie study music in school. The three of them together with the NG group invited the whole school to the cafeteria for a worship session.
- A girl from the group came up with the idea. She had been wanting to do this since she started her first year at the gymnasium, now she's at her last year, Joel tells.
The group soon joined her and started to rehearse. The members who didn't play any instrument helped in other ways, like baking cookies to hand out to the people in the cafeteria who would listen.
- After a while, we felt like "this is impossible", maybe our ambitions are too high? It felt like too many songs, with not enough time. So we prayed a lot for the outreach, Joel says regarding how the group felt just before. But everything went well and they were happily surprised by the outcome. He continues:
- We gave God an initiative and what we had, and he took it to the next level and made it work. Even some technical stuff that we´d worried about went smoothly.
Julie tells that they invited the whole school to come - and the results were showing! There were people everywhere in the cafeteria. They even sat at the tables and stood up against the walls to make room for everyone. After the session, lot's of the students thought it was amazing and wanted to talk to the group members.
- Even though some of them didn't understand it was worship songs they knew we were Christians and through that, they understood the meaning of the songs, Joel explains.
The group prayed a lot during the whole process, both before and after. They longed for God to use them and their initiative.
- Just after we'd played, we went away to pray and give thanks to God for a wonderful outreach, Joel giggles relieved and continues:
- Doing this together as a group gave us new hope.